Sunday, June 23, 2013

Psalm To My Friend


We don’t really know where we’re going after this, whether we end up where the creek gods play us like a chess game which, I figure, is a good enough reason to be content to have taunted and entertained them all this time. There’d be purpose to that.
If it’s to some god’s castle in the clouds where he processes his anal-retentive issues on us like our homeguard claims he does, then we can just as well go on giving him hell just like he’s been giving it to us, and there’d be purpose to that.
         
If, however, it’s more like we’ve always thought it was, and why we’ve been honoring this place we’ve been allowed to experience the bottomless, blameless beauty of, then you and I are in the right paradise.
            
And then we’ll move on.
   
I know, easy enough for me to say. I don’t have cancer yet. But I’m wondering, after hearing about yours, how it can be otherwise. From our several decades of simple experience we know by now that we can’t choose everything that happens to us but we can choose how we look at those things. So it follows. If that’s the case, we can also choose how we look at what comes next.
I think I've got it figured out. It’s just like watching the rivers and mountains, the very things we choose to love in this lifetime to reinforce our heart’s only real message to that silly brain of ours that gets us in so much trouble. Calm down, the mountains say. You still have a chance.
   
It’s the beautiful wheel after all. Just like we thought it was. Just like I look past my garden full of weeds to the hillside full of trees right now. I can't see how it can be any other way.
  
The next place is beautiful, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment